Grime, soap scum, and limescale on your plastic shower tray can ruin even the most serene sanctuary. Without cleaning properly, these stains become harder day by day. But how to clean a plastic shower tray without scratching it using harsh chemicals?
Start by gathering a non-abrasive cleaner or mild soap, a sponge or soft cloth, and a squeegee or towel for drying. When tackling soap scum, use vinegar or lemon juice mixed with warm water as a natural solution.
Use white vinegar or a limescale remover specifically designed for bathroom surfaces to remove limescale buildup. And, if rust is an issue, consider using a rust remover product that is safe for use on plastic surfaces to eliminate any unsightly stains.
Throughout this article, we’ll help you through the step-by-step process of cleaning your plastic shower tray. With our expert tips and tricks, you’ll have a sparkling clean tray in no time.
How Do You Clean Your Plastic Shower Tray?
Following a proper cleaning routine with appropriate guidance will help you clean your plastic shower tray effectively. Here are the instructions to follow:
Materials You’ll Need
You’ll need lemon juice, baking soda, washing-up liquid, white vinegar, a sponge, a spray bottle, a cleaning cloth, an old towel, and a jug for cleaning the plastic shower tray.
- Lemon juice is great for cutting through soap scum and grime buildup on your shower tray.
- White vinegar is effective at disinfecting and removing mineral deposits.
- Baking soda is a natural abrasive that helps to remove tough stains and odors.
- Washing up liquid is perfect for breaking down grease and dirt.
- Cleaning clothes can be used to dry surfaces.
- The sponge will apply the cleaning solution and scrub away any stubborn stains.
- The spray bottle will hold your homemade cleaning solution for easy application.
- Old towels can be used to protect your floor from any spills or drips.
Let’s face different cleaning issues like soap scum, limescale and rust.
For Cleaning Soap Scum
- Heat the white vinegar in a microwave until hot to tackle soap scum.
- Once heated, pour the vinegar into a spray bottle and add an equal amount of washing-up liquid. Shake the bottle well to ensure that the ingredients are properly mixed.
- Before cleaning, ventilate the bathroom by opening windows or using extractor fans.
- Now, it’s time to tackle that soap scum. Spray the mixture onto the affected areas of your shower tray and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
- Afterward, gently wipe away the residue with a wet cleaning cloth.
For Removing Limescale
Limescale can build up on your plastic shower tray over time, causing unsightly stains and reducing its shine. White vinegar homemade solution can help you get rid of it.
- Heat around 100ml of white vinegar in a microwave until hot.
- Then, mix the vinegar with about 30 ml of lemon juice in a jug.
- Add about half a cup of baking soda to the mixture and stir until a thick paste forms.
- Once your shower tray is dry and ventilated, gently pour the paste onto the limescale-affected areas, ensuring they are fully covered.
- Leave it on for an hour before rinsing it off with the shower handset and scrubbing any remaining deposits with a sponge.
For Getting Rid of Rust
To effectively remove rust from your shower, follow these steps:
- Mix equal parts vinegar, lemon juice, and baking soda in a bowl until it forms a thick paste. After that, generously apply the paste made of vinegar, lemon juice, and baking soda and let it rest for a few hours.
- Then, using a sponge or cloth, spread the paste onto the rust-affected areas of your plastic shower tray. Make sure to cover the rust completely with the paste.
- Next, cover the area with a towel to keep the paste in place and let it sit for 2-3 hours. During this time, the vinegar and lemon juice acidity will help break down the rust.
- After waiting, remove the towel and rinse the paste away with water. You should notice that the rust has been effectively removed, leaving your shower tray clean and rust-free.
Additional Advice When Cleaning Your Plastic Shower Tray
When cleaning your plastic shower tray, there are a few additional pieces of advice to keep in mind.
No 01: Avoid Abrasive Cleaners
Regarding the process of cleaning your plastic shower tray, you need to ensure that you are using safe and effective methods. Abrasive cleaners contain particles that can be too rough for the delicate plastic material, leading to unsightly scratches and potential long-term damage.
Instead, use gentler cleaning solutions such as mild dish soap or vinegar mixed with water. These options will effectively remove dirt and grime without causing any harm.
Additionally, consider using a soft sponge or microfiber cloth to scrub the tray’s surface gently. You can keep your plastic shower tray looking clean and pristine by avoiding abrasive cleaners and scouring pads.
No 02: Ventilation
Ensure your bathroom is well-ventilated to prevent mold and mildew growth during and after cleaning. Proper ventilation is crucial for maintaining a clean and healthy plastic shower tray.
Open windows or use an exhaust fan to allow fresh air to circulate in the bathroom while cleaning. This will help remove excess moisture from the air, reducing the chances of mold and mildew forming on your shower tray.
If possible, consider leaving the bathroom door open for some time after cleaning to allow any remaining moisture to dissipate.
No 03: Gloves
To protect your hands, consider wearing rubber gloves if you have sensitive skin or are using stronger cleaning solutions. Cleaning a plastic shower tray can involve the use of chemicals that may irritate or harm your skin.
Rubber gloves provide a barrier between your hands and these cleaning agents, reducing the risk of any adverse reactions.
When choosing gloves, opt for ones made from thick and durable material to ensure adequate protection. Look for gloves that fit snugly but still allow for comfortable movement.
Remember to wash your hands thoroughly after removing the gloves to remove any residual chemicals and keep your hands clean and safe.
Transform Your Dingy Plastic Shower Tray into a Sparkling Oasis
Cleaning your plastic shower tray isn’t tricky, but you need proper cleaning products. You can keep your shower tray pristine and grime-free by following these simple steps and using household items like vinegar and baking soda.
Remember to regularly clean the drain and remove any hair or debris that may accumulate. With a little bit of effort, your plastic shower tray will always shine like new.
So go forth, fellow maestro of cleanliness, and let your plastic shower tray shimmer in eternal splendor.